Thursday, May 24, 2007

Me and ThoughtWorks.

Yesterday, I had been to ThoughtWorks (You might want to click on this link! I don't think that it's their official website.) That place was just incredible. It was a fusion of say, a design firm and a lot of geeks workin in a software company. Right from ambience to crowd, everything was good. They have everything in their pantry that my current office lacks. Literally everything! The lunch out there wasn't all that great but then again, at least they have free food, unlike some places, where you have no food at all!

So, why did I go there? I had an interview. As I said, I loved everything about that place but my interview. It was disastrous. I stammered, fumbled and was not confident while answering, I went blank, like the whole time. All in all, I blew it.

Initially, they started asking questions about the concepts that I had used in my final year project. Later on, as the interview progressed, they tested my knowledge in basic Computer Science concepts. In the end, they probably would have asked me about my hobbies etc etc, but I dint make it to the end. It was one of the best interview's that I have attended. The fatal mistake I did was that I lead the interview exactly towards the concepts I barely knew.

In the end, HR spoke to me well, helping me figure out what went wrong. I had this sentence going on, in my mind, which a classmate of mine had said seriously in college. "Given the opportunity, time and resources, I'll prove myself!".

I was overwhelmed with my yesterday's experience. If you care about your code, you should try it too. Btw Abhishek and Chethan have got calls from ThoughtWorks. Hope they get through and give us DIFFERENT treats :)

"I learnt something yesterday!" (Like kayle from Southpark) You should always pick your company based on work and not pay. (Yea Yea! I know that you already know it). Anyways, so I decided not to apply for any other company but (thoughtworks and few more!)

12 comments:

Pavan said...

Work with the geeks is the official website for applying to Thoughtworks. You may want to apply.

Abhishek said...

Thanks Nithin . Not many ppl can say these ("Abhishek and Chethan have got calls from ThoughtWorks. Hope they get through ") . Even if they say they really wouldnt have hoped .

Hungry said...

Oh another thing! They offered to me to get back to them once I am better prepared. I thought it was a pity invite but then they meant it. How do I know that? I got a mail on that just now;)

Swaroop Murthy said...

doesn't thoughtworks have maintenance projects at all? or support? not that i want them, i'm just wondering how everyone in that place gets development.

Hungry said...

@Swaroop: I'll let Pavan answer this question :)

Btw I was asked this Question on why hashcode should be overridden when you override equals method. I had read this book written by Sierra and bates, and some other book which had not explained much on that. So I answered with only high level concepts, like a program manager who works only on abacus.

Swaroop Murthy said...

pavan, what is the answer? don't say 42.. we want something specific here :)

Pavan said...

[Abhishek] You know we always mean it. :)

[Hungry] Cool. Now you can get back to preparing better.

[Swaroop] We do have like one maintenance project running now. That too for a very huge and very old customer. For about a month. That's about it. NO SUPPORT projects! People as it is crib about how lame the work is these days.

[Swaroop] You know everything, atleast the answer to them. :)

Swaroop Murthy said...

ok.. thats a little strange, from a business perspective. i mean if you have a consultancy firm that doesn't do maintenance, your firm would be missing out on a huuuge chunk of the market. i mean, huuuuge.

Hungry said...

But then, as a company, if you have enough work for your engineers, would you want to take maintenance work??? Moreover, you will get more revenue with a new good product than maintenance, also your engineers will be happy, helping you to have the best engineers and control attrition.

Swaroop Murthy said...

plus, there's no point cribbing. the solution to crappy work is: innovation. i used to have "crappy" work/maintenance before. all i did was, i looked at some of the system architectures, came up with suggestions, got them approved. now i write java programs almost all the time. with no deliverables or deadlines!

Hungry said...

Go Swaroop! Thats the way. You have done it again!
But, what do you mean by no deliverables or deadlines, are you testing?

Swaroop Murthy said...

i DON'T do testing.. noooooooooo. when u come up with a pip(process improvement plan), you can take yur time to deliver the project. that's all there is to it.